Sunday, May 30, 2010

Parking Wars = Stupid People

So I am sitting here watching one for my guilty pleasures, "Parking Wars" on A & E.

I know this may seem absurd to some, but it is really funny to see grown people act the way they do. Like a little kid when they get caught breaking the rules, they throw temper tantrums. One woman (and I use that term loosely) actually said, "But everybody does it? Why do I have to get the ticket?" Come on, people!!! Didn't your momma ever teach if you, if someone jumps off a cliff, it doesn't mean you have to follow them? Never, ever have I heard of someone who use this excuse and get away with it.

Anyway, here's a couple of things you need to know about "Parking Wars". The setting of our story is the wonderful city of Philadelphia and the show is about the PPA (Philadelphia Parking Authority). The show is broken up into 3 different sections: Impound Lot, Ticketing and Booting.

Each department has it's own rules, it's on way of doing things, and it's own set of problems and complaints. But the similarity that each share is every person who gets "caught" on the show says, it's not their fault and/or "The PPA is ridiculous and/or unfair." It's pretty entertaining how upset people get for something they did wrong. Well entertaining to me, not so much for them!

Why can't people just follow parking rules? It's just like traffic rules, and we all have to pay attention to the rules, plan and simple. Plus, if you KNOW what you are doing is wrong, but you do it anyway, that's stupidity. And you're really upset with YOURSELF because you got caught. Just as I tell my students, you always have a choice!!! As much as I hated paying for the two tickets that I recently obtained (no comments necessary), though it was frustrating and an inconvenience ultimately, I had to pay (and boy did I pay) the consequences.

Ok, so back to our story. Here are a few situations from Parking Wars and my opinion on the situation.

IMPOUND LOT-

After 21 days of being in the impound lot, unclaimed cars are eligible for auction. Why do people wait until the last day and then demand to get their car immediately because they are now ready for it. It's amazing to me, the gaul that some people have.

The Blame Game - Excuses, excuses, excuses. I love to watch these people come out with all kinds of excuses as to why their car was towed.

"There was a no parking sign in front of my car, and behind my car but not where my car was parked. So basically, my car was towed for no reason. If my car was parked illegally, it was purely accidental and if so, well that the city's fault." - Really? It what universe, does this excuse seem like it will work? I mean that's like saying,"Officer, I really didn't mean to shoot and kill my husband, but the gun was just sitting there and I pointed it at him and pulled the trigger, but it was purely accidental that the bullet hit him, and if it did hit him, well that's his fault".

The Run Around - Now I can understand people getting frustrated with this one. But please, it's the Department of Motor Vehicles. Most people are aware of the amount of time it takes there. But people still want to complain about, what they believe is, "The Run Around". The people who work at the PPA are just doing their job, and I am sure that they don't want to be there either. I don't think that the people behind the counter woke up one morning and said, "Ok, let me see how many people I can aggravate and piss off today!"

It also kills me that people drive without a license, registration nor insurance, get upset when they have to pay big $$$. One lady let her brother, who had a suspended license, drive her car and he was pulled over, she's furious that she has to pay so much $$$ for all the fees and fines to get her car back. Sweetie, it's not the lady behind the counter's problem that you let your brother "hold" your car and that he's an idiot. (Must run in the family.) I would take all the $$$ that my brother owes me out on his dumb ass.

Teenagers & "Their" Cars - I hate people. But I especially hate teenagers who feel obligated. One little girl complained about every little thing when people tried to help her.

"Well, why can't they call Geico? It's their job. They are not doing anything else." -Um, yes. Nothing except helping a whole line full of people.

"Why do the insurance people need to call my dad to get permission to release this information? I am 18 years old!" - Um first of all, if you're 18, and think you are a real "adult", why don't you handle your responsibilities your damn self! Secondly, your dad is probably the one who is PAYING for your insurance, right? So stop complaining, and shut the hell up.

Then she goes on to say how ridiculous the system is and how she is going to tell "important people" to fix it, because she knows a lot of "important people". - Who? Who do you know that is SO IMPORTANT that they can "fix" the DMV? Because I need to talk to these "important people" about some other things going on in life that's also "unfair". And then I swear, that her little 18 year old friend says, "Yeah, we need to make a HUGE MySpace Bulletin." - That's the future of America talking, people!!! Anyone else scared?

Another woman got mad at the Parking Authority lady for being "too nice". Now if the lady was rude, she would have gotten even madder. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

TICKETING -

How come some people get mad at the city if they receive tickets, but then also get mad when there is too much traffic? Officers who write tickets are only doing so, in order for the traffic to flow constructively through the areas of congestion.


Perfect example, a guy was double parked in the street next to a bank. He was an employee of the bank. The bank was knocked off twice in the last month, so the police were being extra cautious. The man gets angry and says, "The parking authority is bullshit. They take your money and don't give anything back." Um, I think the giving back part is PROTECTING you and your bank from getting robbed... AGAIN!


And everyone HATES paying for tickets. But use some common sense and you wouldn't have a problem, case in point:

Meter Maid : "Did you know the parking meter was broken?"
Stupid Guy :"Yeah, that meter over there WAS broken."
Meter Maid: "But you parked there anyway?"
Stupid Guy, clearly seeing he was both wrong and stupid, "Well how much is this gonna set me back?"
Meter Maid: "26 dollars."
Stupid Guy gets irate and commences to cussing.... over 26 dollars!!! Seriously?!?


Another person parked between two meters, and put money in the wrong meter. Why didn't she just back up? And if you are going to raise all kind of hell and begin cussing, do you really think that's going to let the parking attendants go easier on you? Negative Ghostrider!

Other excuses - "We just saw you up the street, and now you're over here ticketing my car?" Well, when you saw the man putting tickets on other peoples cars, why didn't you run out to feed the meter or move your car? STUPIDITY, plain STUPIDITY!!!

Some parents at a daycare drop off/ pick up were mad because other cars were parked in the spots in front of the day care. Their solution? They pulled their cars up on the side walk and then argued with the parking authority about why they should not be ticketed. WTF?

BOOTING -

In the city of Philadelphia, your car gets "booted" when you have received 3 or more parking tickets and have not paid for them. If the "booters" traveling around the city scan your tag and it comes up with violations, they will boot your car. Seems pretty simple to me!

Many people who are ticketed, reply with "I'm not paying this ticket!" and sometimes they will go so far as to throw the ticket on the ground or rip it up. Uh yeah, little kid throwing the tantrum? Yeah, you. Just because one destroys a ticket, does not mean that said ticket, goes away.

So first they get pissed because they got the ticket, then the get pissed for getting a boot! You have outstanding parking violations!! No one WANTS to pay for a ticket, but getting that upset won't help, and it most cases it makes the problem worse.

There was one lady who parked to attend a funeral. She had two outstanding tickets and they booted her car, but she thought she could be given a reprieve since she was at a funeral. What's the difference between before or after the funeral, but not during? She still knew she had the outstanding tickets, pay it and you won't have any worries.

Other stupid questions/situations:
Booted: "Does it matter if those plates belong to that car? I mean, if the car doesn't have tags, they're gonna tow it anyway!" WTF? Why is this a question in your mind? Every driver needs to pay for license, insurance and tags. PUT THE TAGS ON THE CAR!

Booted: "My truck has been givin' me problems, that's why I haven't paid the parking tickets. If you look, it has a bullet hole, here, here and here." Dude, if you have multiple bullet holes in your truck, I think you've got WAY bigger problems than a boot on your car!


Heavy hitters - These are people who have over $700 in parking violations. They are given 6 months or more to pay and have been notified several times of these outstanding violations; therefore, their fees have accumulated.

Booted: Crying, "But I don't have a $1000 to pay my tickets." Um, this is not the first time you were "warned" about your parking tickets. Plus, guess where this "citizen" was, when her car was being booted? Getting her nails done!!! And once she was finished complaining about how she didn't have any money, guess where she went? Uh, that would be back into the nail salon. Here's a hint, stop getting your nails done, and use that money to pay your tickets!!!

Booted: Realizing his car is being booted and suddenly wants to pay the fines, "I have to wait an hour!" - Uh, the city has been waiting for more than 6 months to get your fine from you?

"I'm trying to go somewhere and I'm being prohibited from leaving." - Way to go Captain Obvious, THAT's the purpose of a boot.

"Ya'll don't have a copy of the tickets or know how much I have to pay?" - Nope! Your ticket = your responsibility. My job = My responsibility. See how this works?n

"Oh, so you can put the boot on, but you can't take it off?" Yes, and you could have chose to pay your parking tickets or not. You chose the latter, so I guess we are even.

Supervisors - Now, I know that customer service is hard. Especially with a job like this. You are dealing with the public, but it's not necessarily in the best scenarios. People are going to get upset. This comes with the job and the territory. But when people are just trying to do their job, and not getting rude or being combative in any way, why do obligated people always ask for a "supervisor"? The supervisors usually still gives you the ticket. Is that suppose to make the PPA people scared? THEY WORK FOR THE PARKING AUTHORITY!!! They are not making cotton candy and popcorn. They HAVE TO have a thick skin. Just because you call the supervisor, doesn't mean that she's going to agree with you. Here's a hint: Getting a supervisor does NOT equal you getting your way.

So now do you see why I love this show so much? If you get a chance to check it out, you will not be upset. "Parking Wars" is shown on A&E, check your local listings for time slots.

No comments: